Announced today, the Leica CL is the premium camera brand’s second APS-C compact system camera, joining the Leica TL2 which was released earlier this year.
We’ve been at the camera’s launch event today for a hands-on first look, so let’s dive into what’s new…
Leica CL: Key features
Carrying a 24MP APS-C sensor and a Maestro II series image processor, the Leica CL is packing some serious imaging power. It uses a fast autofocus system with 49 metering points, and is capable of shooting 4K video at up to 30 fps.
Leica has been keen to draw attention to a standout new feature of the camera – its electronic viewfinder. The EyeRes viewfinder has a resolution of 2.36-million pixels and operates with no perceptible lag, meaning the final image is visible in the viewfinder before the shutter is pressed.
Design-wise, the Leica CL has all its essential controls on the top plate, with two dials for major settings, and there’s also a top display for quick access to shooting information.
Leica CL: Lenses
The Leica CL is also compatible with the same lens lineup as the TL2, which includes the following.
- Super-VarioElmar-TL 1:3.5–4.5/11–23 ASPH
- Vario-Elmar-TL 1:3.5–5.6/18–56 ASPH
- APO-Vario-Elmar-TL 1:3.5–4.5/55–135 ASPH
- Elmarit-TL 1:2.8/18 ASPH
- Summicron-TL 1:2/23 ASPH
- Summilux-TL 1:1.4/35 ASPH
- APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL 1:2.8/60 ASPH
Its L-Bayonet mount means it’s also compatible with SL lenses, while Leica M and R lenses can also be used with adapters.
Leica CL: Sample images
We’ve already been out playing with the Leica CL – here are a few of the images we captured with it.
Leica CL: Specification
Sensor: 24MP APS-C sized CMOS sensor
Lens mount: Leica L Bayonet
ISO range: 100-50,000
Shutter speeds: 30-1/25,000sec (electronic), 30-1/8,000sec (mechanical)
LCD: 3-inch TFT LCD touchscreen, 1.04million dots resolution
Viewfinder: EVF, 2.36million dots resolution
Dimensions: 131 x 78 x 45 mm
Weight: 403g (with battery)
Leica CL: Pricing and availability
The Leica CL black version will be available from the end of November.
Leica CL: First Thoughts from the Launch Event
- The new Leica CL is currently about the closest you can get to feeling like you are using a Leica rangefinder in a camera with an EVF.
- Although Leica isn’t targeting professional photographers, the design, price and size is going to appeal to some pro photographers – certainly as a secondary camera.
- The Leica CL has the same sensor has the TL2. In fact Leica made no comments about improved image quality or processing so it is almost certainly the same as the Leica TL2 in a different body.
- When you are using a manual focus lens with an adapter, the right side scroll wheel automatically switches from aperture control to focus magnification.
- Touch focus with the option to touch-and-release at the same time